Monday, September 16, 2013

Learning the ABCs of Life. . .

Me and my brother was orphaned at a very young age. Our maternal uncle and grandmother started to take care of us. The family’s livelihood was mainly dependent upon cutting leather strap which brought home a meager income. As income was low, and mouths to feed were many, we had no other option but to join the others in the leather strap work. The most tough part of the job was having food after the day’s hard work. 
The foul smell of leather would remain the whole day and make us nauseous. In that world of pain and drudgery, education never featured in our list of priorities.  

However my story would have been just another story of child labour & deprivation of education until CINI intervened and came to our rescue.  CINI helped me & my brother get admission to schools and start our education. My brother got his admission in Ambedkar School and I got through VIP Nagar High School. Our joy knew no bounds. CINI did not stop there. The members stepped in to guide us through our journey of education. We regularly attend their Coaching center at VIP Masjid. Now I can proudly say that my brother is in Class 5 & I’m a student of Class 4.

I heartily thank CINI for being a consistent support to us. It has reduced our working hours in the leather strap cutting job and helped us in concentrating in our studies. We can put more time in studying.

However it is just the foundation stone of CINI. It has a long way to go. It aims higher to completely dissociate the students from the job and streamline their attention to academics.

M. Khatoon

No comments:

Post a Comment